Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lost

The first weekend in October, my husband and I took our young kids to the Georgia National Fair. Before we entered the gates, we established rules so that they would have fun and not get lost. While they laughed and squealed at the many sights, we watched them like hawks. We had made it through the tractor exhibit, the cow-milking demonstration, the Wild West show, and even the circus, but the rides were where we lost one.
            As we were exiting one ride and winding our way through the crowd to the next one, our two-year old son Bo wandered away. Panic overtook my husband and me as we frantically scanned the area. After a long two minutes, we found that he had roamed back to the ride we had just left. What relief!  
            This made me think of our relationship as a child of God. He has given us many guidelines in the Bible to help us have a joy-filled life and not get lost in sin, yet sometimes we choose not to follow them. He tells us to stick close, yet we wander off. Oh, the concern, or “panic,” that he must feel when we “go astray.” The Bible tells us the parable of the lost sheep in Luke 15:3-7. The shepherd leaves the ninety-nine sheep that have stayed with him to rescue the one who chose to wander off. Verse 7 tells us that “joy shall be in heaven over one sinner who repents.” God continually watches over us and searches for each of us when we stray, just as we did with Bo, and He is exceedingly glad when we return to His presence.
            I sure am glad God continued to search for me when I wandered away. God’s love is that strong for everyone. I challenge you to make sure others know this.
Luke 15:3-7
“So he spoke this parable to them, saying: What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment